Tuesday, May 24, 2011

How many people does it take to build a lightbox?

I have a new lightbox, and I feel like when I show a picture, it should have credits.
Without a number of people, its existence would not be possible.

Here it is - still awaiting staining or painting. I haven't decided which way to go yet.



Here's the cast of characters and the story of how it came into existence:

Light - Elaine (via Dylan)
Plexiglass - Sarah (via Sue)
Box - David (via Sue and Sarah)
Staining or painting - me

First of all the light - it came via my pal Elaine, when her son decided he no longer wanted his Coors Light sign. So, she donated it to me and I spent a number of hours figuring out how to remove the plastic Coors front to reveal just the light. If I recall (it was a while ago), I ended up with a good little scratch from the removal.

The light traveled here to the new home (not in a box) and I mentioned to Sue, one of my new students, what it was going to be when it grew up.  Sue brought her daughter Sarah to see the studio one day, and Sarah volunteered some Plexiglas from her workplace - she was sure there were leftover pieces that would be the right size and she would get one cut.

Enter Sue's husband and Sarah's dad - David - who was intrigued by the "light box" discussion and after learning its purpose, volunteered to build the box.

So, not only were a number of people involved, so were a number of locations: the light came from Toronto to Parry Sound. The plexiglass came from Oakville - it took a few trips to and fro before it made it here. And David's workshop, near McKeller, produced the light box.

It's fantastic. A very good size, so even large patterns will be easy to do in parts. And it means no more tired arms from tracing vertically on the living room sliding door. Yippee!!!!

You know that saying "It takes a village to raise a child." I'm starting to think that the same can be said about a light box. So thanks to all who helped create it.

2 comments:

Jen Manuell said...

I love how compact it looks....you're one lucky gal! :-D

Woolly Mammoth Woolens said...

Good for you making your own light box! I priced some larger ones a few years ago, and they were very expensive.

Sleeves, Socks and More Socks

The Voyage cardigan is coming along nicely. Sleeve #1 is done and sleeve #2 is just a couple of episodes of One Day away from done.  But bir...