Monday, January 18, 2010

Creativity breaks through.





The brain is truly amazing and every once in a while we are reminded. Despite insurmountable interference, it still manages to generate new ideas - and this weekend, I experienced just that.

Right now, my head is so packed with lists and deadlines for a home move, an office move, pending (semi) retirement and our upcoming Hook In, that I was pretty sure that all cells were spoken for. But I was pleasantly surprised.

With everything on my plate, I had resigned myself to the fact that I would not be hooking a "happiness is" piece for our Feb. 6 gathering. Instead, I wrote a little something that I plan to read for 'show and tell'.

But Saturday morning, I awoke with a fully-formed design concept in my head to go with my words. A little fine-tuning in a sketch book and it was ready to go on backing. Since it seemed like such an unlikely gift, I felt compelled to dive in - so Max got sidelined once again.

I don't know if this little mat will be done for the hook in date, but I will share the progress as well as the words. And I will marvel at the power of creativity to burst through when the brain seems to be a virtually hostile environment for anything to grow.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Isn't it great when that happens! You just never know when a new rug will pop into your head. Can't wait to see what you have come up with.

Cathy G. said...

I've experienced that too! Seems like when the brain is being rattled with so much it stimulates even more creativity...... I'll never figure it out LOL Cathy G

Sleeves, Socks and More Socks

The Voyage cardigan is coming along nicely. Sleeve #1 is done and sleeve #2 is just a couple of episodes of One Day away from done.  But bir...