Monday, October 4, 2010

Knit 3, Hook 1

Seems that in the fall, my love of knitting kicks into higher gear and starts to compete with my hooking time. Not that it doesn't do that all year, because I am a 365 day knitter, but I guess this time of year gets busier with planned Christmas gifts added to the mix.

So this past week has definitely been an exercise in time management: work, knit, hook, eat and sleep - a curriculum that gives my days a nice rhythm. Right now I've got two knitting projects on the needles, one just blocked and two recently completed. And there are at least 6 presents in bags with patterns that have that definite deadline. And too many hooking projects to mention.

One of the recently completed projects, a knee-length cotton vest in teal presented a problem for buttons. I found an interesting solution, so decided to share. Since I couldn't find a single button I particular liked, I used a mixture of large and small buttons in different colours and stacked them.


Not only do I love the way they look, but they certainly introduce a palette of possibilities to wear under the vest. And they all came from my button bag. I sewed them on with yarn from the vest, through the two sets of holes of the button stack.

Feeling like I hadn't pulled a loop in a while (punching is definitely different from pulling), I got back to a piece I started a while ago. Sometimes things you start have a habit of evolving into something else - especially for me. And often something unexpected determines the outcome.

I had started a little moose when I participated in the stocking challenge a while back, which I was going to tuck inside the stocking. I ran out of time, so decided I would just hook it as a small moose study with trees. Then along came this $2 bargain at a hook in and it changed again.


This is one continuous 4" strip of buffalo check wool - blanket weight. I had absolutely no idea what I would do with it. But let's face it, a gal from a log cabin cannot resist buffalo check anything. So, the little moose took a sharp turn, got some companions and a buffalo check background.


The wool is quite difficult to hook with, because it is very thick, and reproducing the check is not as easy as it looks. But I am liking it and will have fun finishing it. I think it might become a pillow for Rick's study. And I'll use more of the buffalo check wool for a border - unhooked.

It's fun to not know exactly where things will turn out. And in both instances in this post, a very pleasant surprise was just waiting to be uncovered.

1 comment:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

The pillow looks great ~ I know it's a little tricky to hook the wool into a pattern ~ you did very well!! And I love those mis-matched buttons ~ cute idea!! Makes it look very artistic and planned!!!

Big Bird is Coming Along Nicely

First of all, welcome to another "theme" for my blog. The last one was just too hard to navigate - as an author or a visitor. This...