Monday, September 27, 2010

My first punched chair pad.

Well, after doing absolutely no hooking all week, I punched for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon and finished this chair pad. And I must say, it turned out even better than expected. Why? Well, because after choosing yarns for it without a colour plan or forethought (simply pulling from my overly large stash), when I finished, I realized that it matches my studio chairs perfectly.  See what I mean....



Truth be told, with all the colours in this pad, it would probably match any chair, but I laughed when I placed it on the chair because it looked so great. I guess we instinctively choose our colours - we come with a pre-set palette. I know that I tend to use the same colours a lot. But there are certainly colours in this little mat that are not in the usual repertoire.

I took this picture before I covered the back of the pad, the perfect way to use some of my stash of blanket wool. But you know what the thing about chair pads is? Chairs come in multiples. So now I have 5 more to go.

Kudos again to Sandra who made the entire experience, from first punch to finishing, easy and fun.

5 comments:

Jen Manuell said...

I heart your new pad! ....and I'm not sure if I'm just trying to escape from all of the work I have to do or what, but seeing it makes me really want to drop everything and start playing with the punchneedle. Not a good idea right now....waaah!

Deb said...

Love it Wendie! Did you just fold under the edges and stitch it down? My first rug hooking was sort of a circle because I used a quilting hoop in the beginning. I haven't finished it yet, but it will be a stool pad as well.
/Deb

Wendie Scott Davis said...

Deb - with punch needle, the piece sort of rolls under on its own, so all I did was trim to about 2" and then baste and gather around the outside. Then I pressed it and covered the bottom.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Your chair pad looks great to me!!! I've not wanted to take up needle punch just because I don't need another craft to stash supplies for!! But this looks very appealing!!! Happy punching!!

Deb said...

Thanks for telling me - I've never done punching, but I sure enjoy the locker hooking. I still need to finish the two wool rug hooking rugs I started in the beginning. /Deb

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...