Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A very special studio.

From the moment you pull into the driveway of Martina Lesar's studio, you know you are in for a treat. This is the log building, with the amazing window box, that greets you as you park your car.


Then you venture inside and a warm wood burning stove and a cacophony of colours from wool and yarn and silk and more hits you in all your senses. Then you are greeted by Martina who is as warm and welcoming as her studio.

And then, when you're me, you give her a huge hug and thank her for sharing this special place with visitors. Here are a few of the pictures I took to inspire me when setting up my future studio.




And there's even more upstairs - this is magical place where the workshops are held and the patterns are drawn and kept, along with big bolts of wool. Isn't it perfect????
















I am a huge Martina fan and have been sending students to her studio, particularly if they like primitive patterns - which she does oh so well. I had met her briefly at the last Annual, along with 4,000 other people. But this was a chance for Elaine and I to do a road trip to her studio and see what all the students were raving about. I'm so glad that we did. Because I, for one, am continuing the raving BIG TIME.

Her supplies are a bit different from other studios and she has a selection of frames to try from vendors I had never heard about. I think in her pursuit of the perfect frame, she has become quite the expert on frame suppliers, gripper strips and ways to improve upon existing frames (she gave me a great idea for my Cheticamp, which I can't wait to try).

Elaine and I left with lots of goodies (including one another's Christmas gifts) and wool and patterns and studio stories to share with others. And,best of all, (I believe) a new friend and great person to know in the hooking world. Martina has a warmth and geniuneness about her that few people possess.

To top it all off, we went for lunch at the Belfountain Inn and enjoyed the picturesque drive along the Forks of the Credit before returning to the reality that is Highway 10.

Before we left, we invited Martina  to be a vendor at our Hook In February And happily, she has accepted. So, if you haven't already done so, visit her website and see for yourself what wonders await you there.

Thanks again Martina for letting us trespass into your little part of hooking heaven.

No comments:

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...