Thursday, September 4, 2008
My newest CARdigan.
It’s Septemer 4th and I’ve just spent a great part of the past few days in the car, getting my son back to university. Each year, you would think it would get easier, but it doesn’t seem to. This year required three return trips to Guelph, which is about an hour away. The only good thing about all the to-ing and fro-ing is the amount of car knitting I got done.
I have been working on this Berrco cardigan for about a month, and I finally feel like I am heading into the home stretch. This has definitely been a 1-step-forward; 2-steps back project. I think I have knit the equivalent of two sweaters because of all the raveling and re-knitting I have done.
The yarn I am using is a camelly-brown colour and it has been one and a half sweaters before this one. It started as a sweater for my husband, the fit of which he wasn't crazy about. Since I had spent a lot on the Merino wool, it was definitely worth raveling back to figure out something else to make instead. (I have since knit him a replacement sweater that will be sewn together right after this one.) I then started a tunic type vest, but I decided that pattern needed yarn with a bit more "oomph". So, I found this cute cardigan (Napoli in Berocco book #259) and decided it would be perfect.
The pattern does have quite a bit of shaping, as you can see from the picture, but it was the decreasing plus increasing on the fronts that gave me the trouble. The first front turned out to be about 4” longer than the corresponding side of the back, until I re-read the decrease instructions. The second one turned out to be a lot wider, probably looser tension as I was relaxing into it.
Now I am putting the ribbing around the entire bottom – 350 stitches – that’s how many needed to be picked up from the two fronts and the back. Try as I might, I couldn’t get more than 156 stitches from the back section (the pattern calls for 176), despite trying twice. I decided to “cheat” a little and add some as I went across the back and figured if I don’t like the result, I can always start over. I think I still netted out 10 stitches short.Yikes.
Anyway, I really like the style of this little sweater and figure it’s the perfect transition item for fall days where you really don’t need a big heavy sweater. And I think the lines are fun. So, I will persevere and figure out all these challenges and then hopefully love this sweater for testing my time, talent and patience.
In the meantime, it stays in the car waiting for the next trip, which is to a meeting in Port Hope this afternoon. At 2 hours each way, that should be enough time to finish the front ribbing and button holes.
And there's another project bagged and waiting for tomorrow night's 2 hour trek to the cottage.
First of all, welcome to another "theme" for my blog. The last one was just too hard to navigate - as an author or a visitor. This...
That's the name of my class at Loyalist College next July. And it is inspired by the many incredibly brilliant borders I have seen on ru...
I like it when I get to mix up my projects during the week. I think it's part of my Attention Deficit Fibre Disorder - but it keeps me h...