Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Clowning Around


Another OHCG student brings a smile to my face with her finished clown project. Sandy came to class last September with a good start on this handsome fellow, including his sculptured nose and his bunny. The bright colours evolved throughout the weekend, butI hadn't seen him against this dramatic background until last week.

He was in the rug exhibit at Trent School of Rug Hooking where Sandy was taking the Mystery Oriental class with Heidi Pivnik. The bright, cheery piece definitely called to me from across the room. In such a dreary week (unusually cold and rainy for a Trent week, which is usually hot and steamy), he was a very colourful sight.

Speaking of Trent, while there to do a showcase, I had a chance to see the rug exhibit. Despite the fact that it was in a smaller venue than usual, it was one of the best I have seen. A great variety of subjects and a really nice show. Rather like a small version of the Annual exhibit. Lots of whimsy and creativity.

In addition to the student rugs, there was a display of many of the friendship rugs which have been designed and hooked over the years, since they were commemorating a big anniversary. Seeing these rugs on display was also very impressive.

Thanks Sandy for sending me the picture of this fellow. It is so rewarding for a teacher to see things as they are completed. I think students should always share their finished projects. It keeps the circle turning.

Congratulations Sandy - he's one handsome clown.

No comments:

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...