Tuesday, August 27, 2019

And now my 69th year has begun.

Wow - the number just looks big, doesn't it? And from someone who lost both parents at 60, each number above that is truly celebrated every year. Very quietly this year - just a nice dinner out with my wonderful hubby.

Freshly back from Newfoundland, where I taught my Portraits class in Lewisporte, I was more than a little tuckered. This was my third time on the Rock, but my first time in central. When you go there, you fly into Gander. And if you want to fly direct, there are some pretty crazy flight times. I arrived at 3:14 a.m. on Thursday morning. And we flew out at 6:35 a.m. on Monday.

I didn't take many pictures once school was under way. But I did manage to take a couple on the first day as we made our way to the camp. This was the view from a spot where we stopped for some seafood lunch.


This was a little "food truck" at a place called Chelsea's where they sell fresh fish and seafood. 


And this is the lobster sandwich and the squid rings we split for lunch. Delicious!


Rug camp was fantastic, as always, but I must say that I preferred the Gros Morne location of Killdevil Camp more than this. It was a bit more rustic, but the scenery was spectacular and as soon as you opened your eyes, you knew you were somewhere special. 

My class was filled with amazingly talented rug hookers who were totally dedicated to getting their portraits of beloved people and pets well on the way by the time I left. It is a short time - Thursday evening, Friday and Saturday day and then done by Sunday at noon. Whoosh!!!

And it was back-to-back following our cottage rental on Lake of Bays the week before. That was a busy, loud week with both grand kids our daughter and son-in-law for the entire week. And our son and daughter-in-law for the first weekend. Plus a few people who came to visit from Sudbury, since we were halfway there. Hectic but fun for everyone.


The weather was a little mixed and this was a storm front moving in that I was able to catch. Jackson was having fun in the water and then 10 minutes later, the wind was blowing the rain sideways. Look at that sky!!!!

So another summer comes to a close. And back to school mindset is everywhere. It's amazing how that beginning of the school year excitement seems to stay with you, no matter how old you are. A time to get organized, make lists of projects and settle into the long fall and winter ahead.

Today in the studio I was looking at the many projects I have on the go and have decided I will need to give each one a "day of the week" so that I can make progress on them all. It makes me think of women - like my mother-in-law - who dust on Monday and do laundry on Tuesday and so on, I will not be doing that. But I will be with Edith on Monday (my giant kilim), my 'kilt roses' on Tuesday, my tea cozies on Wednesday, etc. etc. etc. 

Hopefully by my next post, I will have progress to show on each of them. 

Happy September.



.

No comments:

The Mystique - and Mistakes - of Steeking.

I have discovered that I am a knitter who loves colourwork more than lace or cables. I guess it's just the way my brain works. I can kee...