Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Weekend Was Perfect

Except for the fact that our children couldn't be here, this past long weekend was amazing. The weather was absolutely stunning - no humidity, beautiful sun with lots of cooling breezes and the sound of laughter around the bay.

I decided to spend as much time outside as I could - treat it like a special weekend, not just three more days in our wonderful spot. And it worked!!

I was out on the SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) every morning for at least half an hour, greeting the day and taking advantage of the stillness before the wind rose. It's amazing how much tougher it is to paddle against the wind. Your body acts as a windbreaker, but the distance per paddle stroke definitely goes down and you have to work much harder to stay upright when the water is choppy.

It's incredible how many places have the boards now - a couple of years ago, we had a hard time finding any. I guess it is catching on and every marine supply place seems to be jumping on board - no pun intended.

Here's a very funny picture that I found online, since I didn't have one of my own to share.

That is a very brave kitty!
I kayaked and swam a few times, and the water temperature was around 23 degrees Celsius, so not too bad. Gone are the days of small kids who want to spend nearly the whole time in the water. Luckily, we have little ones next door and it's such fun to listen to them play. Between the swimming, the boat rides and the frogs, the squeals of delight were virtually non stop all weekend.

They invited us to their fireworks on Sunday night and in addition to the oohs and aaahs of their display, we experienced some kind of phenomenon which none of us could explain. A bright red dot appeared next to the full moon - we saw it arrive - and then it simply disappeared!! Someone else said they saw it too - so it wasn't just us. And it apparently made a second appearance later. Hmmmmmmm.

It was actually cool enough bring my knitting down to the lower deck and knit in the shade. I think by the time I finish my currrent sweater, it will have triple the "yarn miles" on it. Not only did I change my mind about the first pattern once I was well into it, I also decided to change my needle size in the second pattern, since my gauge was a bit off. So I have "frogged" a good 15" of progress in the past few weeks. Sure hope I like this latest one. It is called "turmeric" and I found it on Ravelry. Now the hunt for the perfect button!!


I topped off the weekend with a good book, which I devoured yesterday. It is called Half Broke Horses and it is written by Jeanette Walls who wrote The Glass Castle. If you haven't read both of these, run to the bookstore or put them on your Kindle. They are fantastic.

The only thing I didn't do much of over the weekend was hook. But I am really finished the SUP mat, and will probably get back to it in the early mornings this week.

Just a little bit more greenery at the top

So back to my normal days here in the land people escape to in the summer. I guess it's appropriate that we should take days off to, to remind ourselves why people love it so much.



No comments:

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...