Monday, September 20, 2010

Noah's Ark was absolutely amazing!!

When something big happens in my rug hooking world, I'm thrilled to share it here on my blog. This week there were two big events that each deserve their own post, so I hope you read both.

The first was a trip to see Noah's Ark at the showing in Georgetown. I knew it was going to be incredible to see the ark in person, but the entire evening - in fact the entire journey - was magical.

To give you an idea of scale, here is a picture of the ark with a person standing next to it - albeit a bit fuzzy. That's the one thing that all the pictures I have seen have not been able to portray. It's massive!!


Here are a couple of other pictures that I took. The water on the hull was incredible and it was hooked by Mary Shepherd Burton. The animals that are on the ark were hooked by a group of rug hookers and were all quite amazing. 



My favourite animals - and that was hard to choose - were this gorilla and the cat next to it.


But I'm sure you could spend hours and hours looking at them all and picking other favourites.

The bonus part to the evening, which going on your own to see the display which is on until the 25th, was hearing Len Feenan talk about the 5-year journey in creating the ark with Mary He is a passionate and gifted story teller and I could have listened to him talk for a week. To be the one who gets to present this treasure to the hooking world is a real thrill for him, but he couldn't have been more humble.

The ark is en route to the Hooked Rug Museum of North America where it will reside permanently. Part of the evening was the dedication of the ark by Mary's grand daughter. It was very emotional indeed.

So on to the next great adventure!!





No comments:

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...