Monday, July 19, 2010

You hooked a what????

I have a special fondness for "non-mat" hooking projects and in the past have done many different things that will never be put on the floor. Purses. Belt buckles. Flowers. Pendants. Snowmen - the list goes on. But I have just finished the one that will be the most unusual for my collection.

Here is a picture of it in progress. And I'm pretty sure you won't know what it is.


No, it isn't two Pac Men, although that is what it surely looks like.

Here's another picture that will help solve the mystery.


That's correct! I hooked a bra!!!

More precisely, I hooked bra cups and attached them to an existing black bra. Pretty neat, don't you think?

So, why on earth would I hook a bra anyway. Here's the story.

As a new resident of Parry Sound, Ontario, I volunteered to get involved with a fundraising effort to raise $700,000 for a new digital mammography machine for the wonderful new hospital here.  I am always blown away by the way smaller communities can take on, and achieve, these incredible challenges. I have no doubt that this group will succeed.

Anyway, this bra, which I am going to title "Hooked on Early Screening" will join a series of others on a website called www.thebraproject.com.  You can visit the site and see some of the other amazing "art bras" that have been created.  And you can learn more about the undertaking.

Maybe you'll even be inspired to hook one of your own and add it to the line!

5 comments:

Kim said...

Omigosh - that is great, especially knowing the story behind its creation. Truly a unique idea. Love it.

moosecraft said...

OMG!!! This is so awesome!!!! From the hooked bra to the title... I LOVE it!!! Now, if you can get Victoria Secret to bid on the bra... the $700,000 should be raised fairly quickly!

Julie said...

What a great idea, Wendie!!!

At first, I thought they were fish....

Very clever!

Cathy G. said...

Wow! What a great cause and fun way to raise the money! I could actually use a bra like that in the winter time here in Northern WI. Great job Wendie!
Cathy G

Julia said...

This is an amazing bra and thanks for directing me to your blog.

This bra should be worn by Lady Gaga to raise the profile. I'm sure money would come in by the fistful. Great stuff. JB

Sleeves, Socks and More Socks

The Voyage cardigan is coming along nicely. Sleeve #1 is done and sleeve #2 is just a couple of episodes of One Day away from done.  But bir...