Monday, September 7, 2009

Saving The Best for Last

That's certainly what Mother Nature did this year!!

What an amazing weekend it was - and after virtually no summer, it was a wonderful way to end it. Some cottage neighbours took last week off and I think they had the very best week of the year. Warm, sunny days. Cool nights, perfect for sleeping. And absolutely NO BUGS! You can't do much better than that.

We anticipated a horrible drive each way, but were pleasantly surprised with 2 and 1/2 hours each way. I think some people took the Friday to make an extra-long weekend. Others maybe didn't come, if they were getting offspring ready for back to school. Our lake was surprisingly quiet.

So, what did I do with this wonderful bonus weekend? Lots! Canoe ride and paddle boat rides and a cocktail cruise. No swimming (the water is just a bit too cold for me), but Rick managed to go in a few times, as did our neighbours. I guess I'm just a wimp! For me on the water is better than in the water once it's below 20 degrees.

No weekend guests meant more time for hooking - or dyeing. Sunday was going to be "green day" for me. And here are the fruits of my labours.

These are two of the formulae we were given for the START weekend. The first one (the more teal green) went relatively well, although this picture may not show the range of values in the dip. I actually thought the first green was rather blue, so was happy I was going "mossy" for the second one.

My success in dip dyeing was short lived! I'm not sure how many things I did wrong, but a few. The formula called for moss green plus Bottle green. I think I used Brilliant green instead, but, when I started dipping, there seemed to be no green at all - rather a dusty pink/taupe colour - YIKES.

Since I figured I had nothing to lose, I just added a little more moss green and the should-have-been bottle green and kept dipping. In the end, I guess this really is kind of a mossy green and I will use it in the piece so that the story can live on. (And yes, Barb, I kept good notes - not that I even want to repeat this!)

The next picture shows you the reward of perseverance. Later in the afternoon, I carried my Cheticamp frame up the stairs from the basement and hooked outside! I sat behind the Muskoka chairs, overlooking the lake. The temperature was perfect and I enjoyed a couple of hours of blissful hooking.

So today it was the end of this perfect weekend. We had a nice long walk, did a good clean and packed up right after lunch. I think we were anticipating a much longer trek, but were home by 3:30. Which gave me time to sit, relax, get organized and sit here at my little desk and write this post.

Not sure why the best weekend is the last official one of the summer. But I hope there are a few fall weekends worth celebrating. That little bit of Indian summer is always pretty special.


Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Sometimes dying doesn't seem like much fun, does it? Especially, when it doesn't turn out like we want! The good thing is there is always a place to use that wool even though it isn't as advertised! I think it must be me ~ but it also could be the water ~ and it could be maybe I don't follow directions very well!! But I keep trying!!! Your teal is very pretty!

Woolly Mammoth Woolens said...

Can I ask you what kind of frame that is shown in the photo?

moosecraft said...

What an absolutely gorgeous place to enjoy your hooking!!! I'd be there every day! Looking forward to seeing more progress pics on your rug... looks very warm and woodsy. :-)

Big Bird is Coming Along Nicely

First of all, welcome to another "theme" for my blog. The last one was just too hard to navigate - as an author or a visitor. This...