Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Why hookers are great bloggers.


I started my blog a few months ago and it has become part of my routine. I like having a place to write about whatever I want. It’s like a diary, only better, because it’s a journal I am happy to share.

My blog was inspired by Jennifer Manuells’ blog. I visited hers every week to see what she was writing about – what story she was telling – what creation she was featuring. It was the sharing I was going for. I felt like I was in the same room with her as she shared pictures of her latest project – finished, or in progress.

In my job, I receive lots of information about “new media”. Technology is really changing how we talk to people - both from a marketing standpoint and a personal one. Now it’s all about blogging and podcasting - what they call “social media”. We are now using electronic devices to create a social experience. The irony of this is not lost on me.

The pundits are speculating long and often about all of it. How impactful are blogs? What is the effect if a podcast? How is mobile advertising being received by the new “cell phone” generation? No matter what insights come across my desk, I put them in context of not only my clients, but myself. My work. My life. My kids’ lives - since they are the new target market.

I marvel at how the hooking community has adapted to the “social media”. Let’s face it, when it comes down to it, “social networking” is what hooking is all about. Once you get past the physical aspects of pulling loops and creating something wonderful with wool, the truth is that hooking is all about getting together to share the rug and the story in the rug.

The best part of any hook in (although some might swear by the penny auction) is the “show and tell”. We never get tired of looking at rugs created by our peers and hearing what inspired them – what spark ignited that creative moment when the rug was born. We scour websites to look at rug galleries. And we visit news sections or diaries on sites to see what stories are being shared.

I think it’s always been this way for hookers. And quilters. And women in general. They knew that “social networking” was taking time to find out what was happening in each other’s lives – in their hearts – in their souls.

That’s what blogs are. Blogs are ‘hook ins’ in a world where we all seem to have more electronics and less time. And they are a great way to share the stories, across great distances. Across the world even.

So blog on fellow hookers - whether that means starting your own - or posting comments on the ones you visit. Become part of the “bee”.

No comments:

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...