Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Some Merry Interruptions

 While progress continues on Hooking for Joy, there were a few little Christmas goodies that needed to interrupt. In fact, there were three Christmas stars, some sock monsters, a little knitted monster and a sock tree (a prototype for many to come).

The Christmas stars were a request from my daughter, since they decided this year to get two small trees instead of a large one (so they wouldn't have to rearrange all their living space), and she needed two hooked stars - one for each tree - so there would e no arguments about who gets the star!

Simple hit and miss stars turned out to be quite the "hit".

Here they are on the backing.

And here they are on their respective trees.

You may have noticed a third star drawn on the backing. Good eye! This was for the third grandchild who does NOT have a personal tree. And his became a Spiderman ornament, his big favourite superhero of the moment. 

Next, without a real deadline, is me doing a few things to save socks that have been darned, patched and now are just "dead socks". A while ago, I started with a sock cat, which I finally got stuffed and done. Then I created a couple more. I think they are pretty sweet. I have no idea what will become of them, but they will give a second life to those socks. In lots of crazy, adorable ways. 

Some monster leftovers were calling to become a tree ornament, which was fast, easy and cute. I see lots more of both of these ideas in the future.

A while ago, I knit a sweet monster blanket and matching monster for a new little human. Here's a link to a post I shared in May. https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/9152499513632375208/6888797437981590244

She is now a few months old, getting ready for her first Christmas. We get to meet her tomorrow, so a whipped up a little "grinch-like" monster that can hide in the blanket. And her mom and dad will get the first sock tree ornament.


I love making and giving home made things at Christmas. I have since I was about 12 years old. For me that is the joy of the season. There's that Joy word again. It seems to be popping up a lot lately, which is great.

The Joy mat continues to evolve. I have been spending a lot of my time working on the hit-or-miss section, being mindful that everything needs to get lighter as we travel to the top. It's such a great project to sit at whenever I have a little bit of time. I continue to enjoy this process.

I promise to share some progress shots one day soon.  










No comments:

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...