Tuesday, October 3, 2023

A Free Vest

As if I need another project on the needles, I do pay attention to the "stash busting" opportunities. That is where the Andrea Mowry "Tessellated Vest" pattern came in. 


I am a vest lover. I have knit several, and I wear them a lot. They are good for "not too hot" and they are a bridge between seasons. And since I seem to live in the land of slip stitches, this is an easy pattern to choose.


Why is this a freebie? Well, the first two colours - the black and the purplish variegated - come from my sister Nancy's stash, not mine. And the third colour is two strands of a "mohair-like" fibre that was donated by someone, years ago, when we were still in Toronto. I think they are cones from a weaver, but they will work well in this endeavour. They are perfect for that light colour, and they are a little fuzzy.

Resistance is futile when it comes to the slip stitch. And for my money, dreareneeeknits (aka Andrea Mowry) has done more to advance its success than any other designer.  She is the epitome of hip, young designers who are introducing knitting to a whole new generation.

I will post progress, because this will be a slow knit. Sock weight yarn. Tiny needles. But I was curious to see if my trio of freebies would work in a swatch - and it seems, they did. Full disclosure, I did not knit the entire swatch, but enough to make me believe it will work. So I decided I will go up a size and see where I net out.

BTW, that shawl that I shared in the last post? Well, the remainder of those skeins allowed me to knit another shawl. This one for my granddaughter is more about the pink than the blue. And I am inches from the end. Just an i-cord bindoff. But when we are sitting in the high 20's in early October, my urgency is not so active.

So I will do a bit of work on Tessellations Vest before starting my grandsons' (that's right - plural) slip stitch cowls. If you are a grandmother who knits, you know that the minute that one finds out you are making something, you are in it for a couple more.

Oh, and on the hooking front, another little memory captured in yarn. This little mat, mounted on an 8 x 10 inch stretched canvas, will keep those three days in Upper Island Cove in a spot where we will always see it. 

A couple more of those special moments in the works. I promise to share. 







No comments:

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...