Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Happy Sweaters. Snappy "Jeanius" Bags.

I am a knitter. I have a wardrobe full of hand-knit sweaters and I love them all. For me, store bought sweaters come and go, but sweaters that I knit stay forever.  

For the first time in a decade, I am home this winter instead of in my winter place in Barbados. I wear one of my sweaters virtually every day. They keep me cozy, make me happy, and I like to think they are happy to be worn again.

Here is a pic of what is in the wardrobe, which truly demonstrates my lack of "need" for any more sweaters. That said, hand-knit sweaters are as much about the journey as the destination. The therapy of making a new sweater is much better than retail therapy would ever be. And the pattern selection is unbelievable. 

Two days ago, I was wearing this one that I knit in 2008, December 10th to be exact. That's right, this sweater is a "teenager".  (This is the picture I posted on my blog that day.)


During COVID, I have knit 8 sweaters, 3 hats, 4 pairs of socks and a 2 baby blankets. And like most knitters I know, I still a stash that promises many more. 

Here is the latest sweater off the needles. It is called "Stripes" and is a fun pattern by Andrea Mowry. The bright colours were a perfect choice for a winter knit and watching the colours change kept me knitting, so it was quick as well. (Wow, the pose hasn't changed much, has it?)


 My COVID time is split between knitting, sewing and rug hooking. I break my days among projects, so there is always something waiting for me. I have also started teaching rug hooking workshops on Zoom. I started in the fall and have now done several, including my "Jeanius" Bags which are enjoying a resurgence in popularity.

It is the perfect two-session workshop and students have registered from all over North America. It is as much fun to do on Zoom as it was "in person" many years ago. For me, the best part is seeing the finished bags, which are as different as the students who create them.

The best part for a teacher of any class or workshop is seeing the finished projects. And being able to share them is the icing on the cake. Here are the first ones that were finished by the latest group:

A fabulous geometric with a full-length flap. 

Perfect lining and a hidden phone pocket. 

Two smaller flaps that are fastened with buttons. 

I look forward to seeing - and sharing - more, as I receive them from my awesome students!

Every class gives new insight into the class and I am learning some new flap finishing ideas from the questions students ask. I will do a few new samples for the upcoming classes in April and May. 

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!! And who says you can't have fun in a long, cold Ontario winter. 








No comments:

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...