Tuesday, May 15, 2007

One Happy Mother!


Another year - another Mothers' Day. And this one was one of the best on record.
Since my daughter had to work on Sunday, she spent the day with me on Saturday, which included picking up my mother-in-law in Peterborough, having a gals lunch and a little retail therapy - at a store with Canadian designers only - awesome.

Sunday had the traditional breakfast (not in bed) - Egg McMuffin from the Golden Arches. A little gardening, a little rug hooking and a family meal made the day easygoing and fun.

My son gave me two CDs - Amy Winehouse and Feist - I highly recommend both. And a homemade card - which is always my favourite thing from him. My daughter gave me a gift certificate for summerizing fingers and toes (plus the Saturday lunch). And my husband (even though I know I am not his mother) gave me a Pandora bracelet with a little girl charm, a little boy charm and a birthstone spacer. Very nice.

My kids aren't so little anymore - they're 24 and nearly 21, but Mothers' Day is no less important - in fact in some ways, I think it is moreso. As your kids grow and leave home, you lose many of the traditions you have come to love. The fact that we can hold onto some of the Mother ones once a year always makes me feel loved and appreciated.

My mom has been gone for more than 30 years. I was my daughter's age when she died. I'm lucky enough to have a fabulous mother-in-law, who has now been in the role for longer than my mom. She has done an amazing job of being there for me.

Here's to all mothers everywhere. Mothering's a great job that we all do to the best of our abilities. Being acknowledged for it by the folks you love most, on a dedicated day, is always a wonderful thing.

No comments:

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...