Sunday, January 17, 2016

Rainy Day Doodles

Or should I say rainy DAYS!!  We arrived in Beautiful Barbados on Tuesday and to date have only had one sunny day. This time of year, there is always a bit of rain, and you don't leave home without an umbrella. But this year, the rain is so frequent, we haven't been leaving home.

So, what to do on a rainy day while your Kobo is being re-charged? Doodle.

In anticipation of my class at Trent this summer, I am doing a lot of doodling - both Zentangle - and not, to help create my teaching sheets for the class. I am learning as much from the doodling as I am from hooking the doodles.

If you are both a "zentangler" and a rug hooker, you have probably already figured out that some doodles are much more hooking-friendly than others. And there are quite a few other lessons to be learned as you move from the black and white fine marker sketches to the "fabric on backing" interpretations.

At any rate, a wonderful way to wile away this wet weather. (Unintentional alliteration alert!)
Here are some photos to show. Kudos to the Zentangle folk who are so generous with their doodles on tanglepatterns.com   They were the starting point for many of my sketches.




And since the rain continued again today, I spent most of the day with my Doodle Moose.  I started her on one of the other rainy afternoons. This project was supposed to last for the entire stay. At this rate, I will need either a big change in the weather, or another project when this is done.

I am hooking this very colourful moose with polar fleece - much nicer in the warm weather than wool. And a bunch of very inexpensive print blankets yielded a wonderful palette for this project. I will probably run out of strips before I run out of pattern, but at least "she" will be complete. I will call her "Josephine, the Technicolour Moose".

Doodling and hooking this way is incredibly free-ing, because obviously, many of the regular rules apply. However, I am finding that there are lots of things to consider when embarking on this translation.

One more thing to share before I sign off on this post. I discovered a new App called COLORFY. It is a colouring book app for FREE. And it is lots of fun on my ipad. You can find out more about it at colorfy.net.   Some really good stuff in the libraries.

And another great activity for rainy doodling.


No comments:

The Mystique - and Mistakes - of Steeking.

I have discovered that I am a knitter who loves colourwork more than lace or cables. I guess it's just the way my brain works. I can kee...