Monday, February 19, 2007

My first blog.





Well, here goes. I decided to see if creating a blog would be as easy as rumoured. So far, so good.

I decided that the first rug I showed on my blog should be my sign for The Rugged Moose, since that is the name of the blog. I created this sign, along with a logo, a while ago. It was to be featured on my website, which is still off in the distant future, I fear.

The "rugged" in the name is a play on the whole rug theme, plus a fond salute to my fabulous log home near Parry Sound, Ontario. The "moose" is for both my nickname and my love of all things moose. Imagine my delight when I found out that the name was available.

To date, I have already hooked 3 moose-themed rugs, with many more to come I'm sure.

The first one I hooked was designed by an artist named Janet Bailey and I found the pattern at Best's Harbour in Glen Williams Ontario. I hadn't pulled a loop before I found it, but had someone show me what to do and away I went. I think my years of all kinds of needlework crafts and countless painting classes came together nicely in my first attempt. It's called "By the Light of the Silvery Moon" and although it was my first rug, it's still among my favourites.

My second moose rug is called "Cottage Critters" and I created it as the Wide Cut assignment for my teaching certification in the Ontario Hooking Craft Guild, which I obtained last year. This rug was fun to design and to hook and I have templates for all the critters so they can be featured in pillows and footstools and other rugs.

1 comment:

Jen Manuell said...

Yay! I'm so proud of you ;-) I love your unfinished rug...and the simple border looks great!

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...